Status Report 31 July 2020
Following the last status update (7 April 2020), the HPP-Board would like to bring you up to speed with the Hermanus Special Rating Area (HSRA) establishment process and developments concerning crime prevention and public safety within the HPP-area.
We regret to inform that there is a delay in the establishment process. Indications are that HPP will only have the authority to function as the HSRA-management body from October 2020.
Cumbersome processes to fulfil obligations in terms of the Overstrand Municipality’s SRA-policy and bylaw are in part the cause of the delay.
Implications of the Delay
Whilst property owners within the HPP-area will commence payment of a mandatory HSRA-levy with effect 1 July 2020, these monies will not be transferred to HPP until all statutory processes have been completed, and a finance agreement (FA) finalized.
Perhaps the most significant impact of the delay is the fact that there will be a gap in the provision of services (crime prevention and public safety, as well as top-up cleaning services), simply because there will be no flow of revenue to HPP until all the statutory processes (in terms of the OM’s SRA-policy and bylaw) have been completed.
HPP-services have been funded by cash reserves and voluntary contributions since 1 July 2019. Voluntary contributions terminated on 30 June 2020. Current cash reserves are running low. As a result, HPP-services will be scaled down even further.
As interim measures, the following will happen:
- All foot patrols (along the cliff path, the CBD and Hoys Koppie) will be suspended with effect 14 August 2020
- The HPP-control room will be kept running for as long as there are funds
- The HPP-response vehicle will be retained for as long as there are funds
- The upgrade of the HPP-CCTV network will be delayed.
In addition, procurement processes (for the appointment of service providers) had to be paused.
Immediate priorities include:
- Register an amended MOI (Memorandum of Incorporation) with CIPC (Companies Intellectual Property Commission)
- Enter into a finance agreement with the Overstrand Municipality (once they have provided HPP with a draft)
- Resume the procurement processes (appointment of service providers).
Branding and Website
You are encouraged to visit our new website (www.hppsecurity.co.za), which went live a few weeks ago.
We would like to extend a special Thank You to all those property owners, who made voluntary contributions during the past year. Some have been very generous.
We remain excited about the implementation of the HSRA, and we are looking forward to working with all the various stakeholders to create a safe and prosperous Hermanus.
Wishing you all the best.
Errol van Staden
Mobile: +27 83 637 0700